[Building Sakai] rwiki update from apereo

Neal Caidin neal.caidin at apereo.org
Mon Jun 23 09:57:43 PDT 2014

Hi Sanghyun,

It was an informal discussion session, a minimal amount of presentation.
What came out of it is that a number of participants feel strongly that
Sakai needs to have a wiki option. We are arranging our first meeting
within a few weeks. The top wiki candidate coming out of the initial
discussion for an rWiki replacement is xWiki [1]. However, there are
still many questions and xWiki is not the final answer.

Some (but maybe not all) of the questions include:

* Is xWiki the best option for our needs? Or is there some other
solution that will work better?
* Could we leverage any existing Sakai tools (i.e. Lessons) for some of
the needs?
* If we went with xWiki, would we go with the LTI flavor or for a full
integration? What are the pros and cons and work involved?
* Do we have resources (time, people, money) to get a new Wiki
integrated with Sakai?
* Licensing? Is the wiki licensing compatible with Sakai licensing? If
not, what are the options? Licensing is very important.

Sakai PMC approval is a given dependency as well. We have two Sakai PMC
members involved in the initial discussions, but will need to keep the
whole PMC informed as we move forward.

My thinking was to send a summary out to the community after we have our
first meeting or two. If anyone would like to participate in the
process, please let me know.

[1] xWiki - http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/WebHome

Thanks,
Neal