[Building Sakai] Good example of confusion when using the documentation

Neal Caidin neal.caidin at apereo.org
Wed Jun 18 06:03:19 PDT 2014

Fwiw, when you go to Confluence, http://confluence.sakaiproject.org,
look at the Spaces menu in the upper left hand corner. On the Spaces
page you will see a list of categories which include Contrib and
Project. You can click on a category to bring up all the spaces tagged
with that category. Looks like that is fairly well organized. Contrib
tools show up both as Contrib and Project. However, we have Projects
that are not Contrib.

I don't disagree that things could be much better. Possibly moving to
Github will help, but things won't improve overnight. Possibly, using
Stack Exchange for technical questions will help.

Confluence seems like it will still be needed for a long time and some
kind of landing spot for documentation will be an ongoing need.
Therefore, it still may be worth an effort to clean it up. One thing I
have been wondering is if I should look for macros or just create some
standards that we can all use when we  come across pages in Confluence.
We could have three taxonomic divisions: Maintained, Useful - Needs
updating, Out of Date - consider archiving or deleting. If you go to a
page that needs updating, or is out of date, it should probably scream
at you. If it has not been labeled yet, or if it is maintained, it
probably shouldn't scream at you, but for maintained pages maybe some
indication that you can look for, that someone has said, yeah, this
looks good.

Just thinking out loud.

Cheers,
Neal