[Building Sakai] Problems with chat tool delivering messages in a cluster

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Fri Jun 13 15:34:29 PDT 2014

So has anyone out there had a problem with chat delivering messages in a
clustered environment in Sakai 2.9? I've got 4 nodes and if you use the
chat tool on the same servers (two different users, two different browsers)
the messages are delivered and appear fine. If you go into another server
there are no messages delivered between the servers. It's essentially the
same problem as reported here in 2.8, but that had no responses either.

http://collab.sakaiproject.org/pipermail/sakai-dev/2011-November/014647.html

I've remember this issue where Global Alerts stopped working at Michigan
because of courier delivery and presence no longer working the same since
2.8 (SAK-19129), and it's depreciated SAK-22053. : GAM-15/GAM-16

The workaround there was to turn on the old presence iframe which would
trigger old courier delivery until this was fixed. I did this locally,
still have it set and it actually *did* work for a few months but after a
resent restart it just stopped working! I can't tell 100% if chat still
uses that or if the rest retrieval implemented in 2.8 (SAK-17523) works
instead. When it processes messages by users sent on the same server,
courier is doing the delivery.

2014-06-13 11:08:29,891 DEBUG http-apr-28121-exec-25
org.sakaiproject.courier.tool.CourierTool - sending delivery: try {
appendMessage('Longsight Support', 'e3e1e785-b611-4272-8c0f-a8d96de
3252b', 'true', 'Jun 13, 2014', '11:08 AM COT', '20140613160829000',
'test 3','0a89bffc-9f1a-48c1-90cd-adfe3c23b451'); } catch (error)
{alert(error);}

I'm mostly just trying to see if anyone has any ideas I haven't
checked. I upped debugging on courier/presence/events and nothing
jumps out. Everything else seems to work correctly. Courier is being
polled and delivering the default "//" when there's nothing to
deliver. Presence doesn't seem to be updating either, so I guess
there's that. ;) Maybe I'll just try another restart.