[Building Sakai] Sakai DateTime Picker

Bryan Holladay holladay at longsight.com
Mon Jul 28 18:33:33 PDT 2014

I had an instructor come up to me today and ask why she couldn't just type
in the dates when changing the open/close dates in her newly imported
assignments (it was annoying to her to have to click "next month" 12 times
instead of just updating the year).  I wasn't expecting the datetime picker
to work this way, but it does and does so apparently for mobile devices.  I
understand why you wouldn't want to show the keyboard on a mobile device,
but I don't know why you'd want to disable keyboard inputs for non mobile
computers.  Is there a simple way for the JS file to know whether the
device is mobile or not already inside Sakai's JS API?  The SO solution is
just a long REGEX check:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11381673/javascript-solution-to-detect-mobile-browser.
 I think we should not have the input disabled by default unless proven to
be a mobile device.  Thoughts?

Here is the datetime picker JS code:

https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/reference/trunk/library/src/webapp/js/lang-datepicker/lang-datepicker.js

// disable the input field on show as to not display a tablet keyboard

 cfg.onClose = function(dateText, inst) {

 $(this).removeProp("disabled");

 };

 // re-enables input field

 cfg.beforeShow = function(input, inst) {

 $(this).prop("disabled", 'disabled');

 };