[Building Sakai] Looking for tutorial/example of using LTI in Sakai for login to separate website

Paul Dickson pdickson at ithaca.edu
Thu Jul 24 12:55:46 PDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 7:35 PM, Charles Severance <csev at umich.edu> wrote:

> On Jul 17, 2014, at 11:22 AM, Paul Dickson <pdickson at ithaca.edu> wrote:
>
> Steve, Charles, I'm going to try to answer your questions together so that
> you guys don't have to worry about answering something the other already
> has.
>
> I believe the total questions are these three:
> (a) What software is the web server running and what language?  Is it just
> flat files in Apache?  Is there some PHP/Java glue?
> The app is written in node.js/javascript. Node.js has several robust OAuth
> libraries (passport is the most notable) which can be used to authenticate
> using OAuth (v1 or v2) which I think is what you were talking about Steve.
>

> I have never grafted LTI into Node.js but if there is an OAuth 1.x library
> - writing LTI code is not much more work - but not something I am expert in.

I've found enough examples of OAuth with Node.js that this shouldn't be a
problem.

> (b) Do you limit viewing to any class any student or do you maintain
> per-class access control lists?
> Any student in a class can view any recording from that class and that
> class only. (So if a student is in section 1 of intro programming they can
> only view the videos of section 1 of intro programming.)
>

> How do you limit this currently?   Do you have folder names, do you use
> LDAP?

Right now when a student logs in their account is checked against class
rosters and students are given access to any data for a given class. I
believe that classes are stored in labeled folders but since what is there
already handles this aspect I think we should be good as long as we can
pull the class information for a student from Sakai (which I believe you've
said is what LTI enables).

> (c) Do you control the software that uploads the recordings (i.e. like
> which directory things are put in?)
> We have complete control of where all files go. All software was written
> in house and runs on Ubuntu 14.
>
> Thanks for responding so quickly to my queries, it's taken me a little
> while to get back with details as this part of the lecture recording
> process is being developed at another institution. They have the web side
> of development but since they don't use Sakai I'm trying to figure out how
> to integrate the web server they have developed into our campus (and my
> server side web background is limited). So again thanks and any pointers to
> the right places to start finding examples or tutorials to look at would be
> much appreciated.
>

> I am guessing that the software somehow knows which class it is dealing
> with and puts files in the right place for the class.

Yes, explanation above.

> This all sounds doable - not trivial of course.   Th next set of questions
> really would start to dig into actual implementation details - and that is
> hard to do in email.

That sounds about right. What I am really hoping for is a starting
point/example to look at so that I have an idea as to how I am trying to
use LTI and OAuth. I've found examples of OAuth with Node.js as I said
above and am just trying to get a handle on how to make this play with LTI
and Sakai.

thanks again

pd