[Building Sakai] Looking for tutorial/example of using LTI in Sakai for login to separate website

Paul Dickson pdickson at ithaca.edu
Thu Jul 17 08:22:53 PDT 2014

Steve, Charles, I'm going to try to answer your questions together so that
you guys don't have to worry about answering something the other already
has.

I believe the total questions are these three:
(a) What software is the web server running and what language?  Is it just
flat files in Apache?  Is there some PHP/Java glue?
The app is written in node.js/javascript. Node.js has several robust OAuth
libraries (passport is the most notable) which can be used to authenticate
using OAuth (v1 or v2) which I think is what you were talking about Steve.

(b) Do you limit viewing to any class any student or do you maintain
per-class access control lists?
Any student in a class can view any recording from that class and that
class only. (So if a student is in section 1 of intro programming they can
only view the videos of section 1 of intro programming.)

(c) Do you control the software that uploads the recordings (i.e. like
which directory things are put in?)
We have complete control of where all files go. All software was written in
house and runs on Ubuntu 14.

Thanks for responding so quickly to my queries, it's taken me a little
while to get back with details as this part of the lecture recording
process is being developed at another institution. They have the web side
of development but since they don't use Sakai I'm trying to figure out how
to integrate the web server they have developed into our campus (and my
server side web background is limited). So again thanks and any pointers to
the right places to start finding examples or tutorials to look at would be
much appreciated.

pd