[Building Sakai] Free and Paid courses

Diego del Blanco Orobitg diego.delblanco.sakai at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 02:38:40 PDT 2014

Sakai allows you to create "joinable" courses... these can be the free
ones.

In the others ( the non joinable ones) you will need to add the users
(manually or automatically from a e-commerce application). But Sakai is not
an e-commerce application. So you will need an external "e-commerce"
website. Drupal or Magento... there are a lot of options.

If you don't want to enroll manually the users in the sites, as said, the
best idea is to have your web with your market of courses, payment system,
etc... and when a user buy a course in your website, then this website must
send a message to sakai (using the sakai the webservices) and enroll the
user in the course.

This is not too much complex if you can touch your website e-commerce code.

Search for the webservices information in Sakai Confluence and you will be
how this can work.

Diego

> Hello,
>
> We are evaluating Sakai for a project which requires a LMS. One of our
> requirements is to be able to have free and paid courses and allow access
> to paid courses to only those students who have paid for it.
>
> Few questions related to the above requirement:
>
>    - Could you please tell me if this is supported in Sakai?
>    - If yes, could you please point us to documentation to set this up?
>    - If no, could you please suggest how to build this?
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Regards,
> Kiran
> Nagu naguta nali nali ene agali

*Diego del Blanco Orobitg*
Spain & LATAM Regional Manager (*ANI Sakai*)
Apereo LATAM Representative (*Apereo Foundation*)

P: (+34) 653 683 489
E: ddelblanco at anisakai.com
Sk: ddelblanco.ani