[Building Sakai] New joinable site settings, which should be on by default? (SAK-24423)

Adam Marshall adam.marshall at it.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jan 31 01:40:56 PST 2014

1 = no group
2 = on by default
3 = off by default
4 = off by default
5 = on by default

-----Original Message-----
From: sakai-dev-bounces at collab.sakaiproject.org [mailto:sakai-dev-bounces at collab.sakaiproject.org] On Behalf Of Brian Jones
Sent: 30 January 2014 18:45
To: 'dev sakai'
Subject: [Building Sakai] New joinable site settings, which should be on by default? (SAK-24423)

Hi,

SAK-24423 introduces several new settings available for use with joinable sites. I would like to gauge the community as to what people think are good candidates for being turned ON by default. These settings are available (if
enabled) on the 'Manage Access' page of the 'Site Info' tool. The new settings are:

1) Joiner group - this setting allows maintainers of a site to select a group that joiners will be placed into automatically.

2) Join notification - when enabled for a site, this will send email notifications to maintainers of the site when a user joins the site.

3) Exclude from public list - when enabled for a site, users will not see this site in the 'Joinable Sites' interface of the 'Membership' tool.

4) Limit by account type(s) - this setting allows maintainers to specify exactly what user account types are allowed to join the site.

5) Join from 'Site Browser' tool - this is a global setting (not per site), and enables people to join a site directly from the 'Site Browser' on the gateway.

My recommendation so far has been to enable 1) and 2) by default, however I'm not sure if other institutions may find some of the other settings useful to be enabled by default as well.

Please join the conversation and let us know what you think! The more input the better. Also, if you'd like more information/clarification on any of these settings, just let me know.

Cheers,

Brian Jones
Programmer/Analyst
Information Technology Services