[Building Sakai] Can Sakai roles be mapped to LTI roles?

Ward, Lynn E. leward at iu.edu
Wed Jan 22 15:55:50 PST 2014

Thanks, Chris.  This is exactly the kind of approach I was imagining.

Sent from my iPad

On Jan 22, 2014, at 6:10 PM, "Schauer, Christopher R" <cschauer at txstate.edu<mailto:cschauer at txstate.edu>> wrote:

Hi Lynn,

We implemented configurable role mapping for an attendance tracking LTI tool we wrote last year. We needed a way for the instructor to allow other roles (e.g. TA, Grader) to take attendance. What we did was add a rolemap property for the LTI tool that contains a comma-separated list of values of the form '<sakai role>:<LTI role>'.  The property can be added in sakai.properties or as part of the tool registration in IMSBLTIPortlet.xml. An example from our attendance tool registration:

<configuration name="imsti.rolemap" value="ta:TeachingAssistant,maintain:Learner/Instructor,access:Member,Guest:Learner/GuestLearner,Site Assistant:Instructor/GuestInstructor,Site Collaborator:Instructor/ExternalInstructor,Grader:TeachingAssistant/Grader" />

The mapped value will be used for the LTI role in the launch parameters and in the roster service. I will attach a patch to SAK-24185 with the changes we made and you can see if it will work for your use case.

-Chris