[Building Sakai] Can Sakai roles be mapped to LTI roles?

Charles Severance csev at umich.edu
Wed Jan 22 07:40:29 PST 2014

Lynn,

While SAK-24185 is a valid use case, for me it has always been a low priority because tool providers seldom understand roles beyond Instructor and Learner anyways and things are pretty specialized.

My general approach is to send the *actual* Sakai role in this field:
ext_sakai_role=CIG Coordinator
This way if a tool really wants to get tricky they can look at the exact role instead of a mapping which can get confusing or be mis-configured.

Others might write the code and I would not be opposed to it - but I don't plan on implementing SAK-2418 - because it feels too "Rube Goldberg" to me.

/Chuck