[Building Sakai] Video calling in portal chat

Adrian Fish adrian.r.fish at gmail.com
Sat Jan 18 10:00:56 PST 2014

Hi Chuck, Aaron,

I don't remember any well argued reason for keeping portal chat turned off,
and portal chat is on by default now. Have a look in SkinnableCharonPortal.
So whatever the concerns were, they must have been allayed at some point .
Could you give us a link to these threads?

IMO, there is not reason we  can't just turn video on by default as it uses
the same polling cycle that the textual part does. There is no more
overhead on the portal chat service than a few extra url parameters on the
getLatestData call. The rest of it is p2p. I've turned it off by default
just because I thought that was the community preference, not because I
lack faith in its safety.

Cheers,
Adrian.