[Building Sakai] Remove iframes from Sakai's Portal markup (SAK-25503)

Charles Severance csev at umich.edu
Fri Jan 17 19:20:57 PST 2014

On Jan 16, 2014, at 7:03 PM, Steve Swinsburg <steve.swinsburg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sounds good Chuck, nice work. have you a list of things that don't play nice just yet? Pretty sure its the wicket apps?
>
> cheers,
> Steve

Steve,

I got the wicket apps *all* working - it was my fault.   I needed to be a bit more clever in my inlining code.  Once I realized why the inlining code was making a mistake - it was an easy fix.   So to my knowledge, all Wicket tools can be inlined both in the main portal (experimental) and in the PDA portal.

As such.  I have changed the default in Sakai-10 to inline all tools in PDA.  So  those last few iframes are gone in PDA.

The tools that break tend to break because of the following:

- They use an old version of jquery that conflicts with the portal's use of jQuery now that they share one markup and javascript environment

- They use Fluid which bundles an old version of JQuery in it overwriting any JQuery that is already there

- Lessons title is a little funky because it was the only "neo" tool and the markup messed up its title handling somehow - I think this is a trivial issue

- They do something in their markup like refresh their parent and get a JS error because they are already in the parent

- Helpers might be a bit tricky if they are constructing urls and redirecting from one tool to another think ing they are in a frame.   For example the connection between LTI in Stie Info and Lessons will likely break

For these last two issues, I have a feeling that some tool code code has "learned" to behave differently in the PDA portal versus the main portal - we probably can just imitate how those tools coped with the PDA portals lack of frames in the new situation where the non-PDA portal is not using frames - I am guessing we could grep for the string "pda" in tool code and that will lead us quickly to where tools are behaving a little differently when there are no iframes.

These are all kind of secondary issues that mostly will have easy fixes - the inlining seems really solid.

I don't think this can be Sakai-10 because it will be probably about 20 little JIRAs that we will catch and need to fix.   I don't want to QA both with and without frames (i.e. like the two skins in Sakai 2.9) so I want to turn off frames, and then fix the code and not look back - hence Sakai-11

/Chuck