[Building Sakai] generic-dao

Noah Botimer botimer at umich.edu
Wed Jan 15 12:11:53 PST 2014

Peter,

I realize that this is probably not the answer you're looking for. The relationship between generic-dao, Spring 3, and Hibernate will need to be reconciled eventually. This is more of a background message since I worked on the upgrades of both.

As of Spring 3, the HibernateDaoSupport / HibernateTemplate stuff is discouraged. Our usage of these is why we couldn't upgrade to Hibernate 4, since they are explicitly for Hibernate 3 and do not support 4.x (or at least I did not see any workaround/bridge). For years, Spring has recommended that you use the Hibernate API directly. The support classes were made before Hibernate 3 so it was easier to integrate Hibernate and Spring transactions. I suppose they were successful, but Hibernate has done this natively, I think, since 3.0.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5104765/hibernatedaosupport-is-not-recommended-why
http://docs.spring.io/spring-framework/docs/3.2.x/javadoc-api/org/springframework/orm/hibernate3/HibernateTemplate.html

However, you should still be able to use the org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.support package while we are using Hibernate 3. I'm quite sure that other tools using generic-dao have come over without problems.

While typing this up, it looks like you have found the answer. Including spring-orm should make everything available.

Thanks,
-Noah