[Building Sakai] Javascript Libraries

Sam Ottenhoff ottenhoff at longsight.com
Mon Jan 13 07:06:31 PST 2014

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 10:00 AM, Charles Severance <csev at umich.edu> wrote:

> Unfortunately the problem is that as JQuery goes through its 1.x and 2.x
> versions, they keep finding "better" ways of doing things and so they break
> old ways of doing things.  So an upgrade from JQ 1.6 to 1.9 will likely
> break several things.

Feel free to assign bugs like this to me.  I updated quite a few tools 2
months ago to use jQuery 1.9.  The primary task is changing calls to attr()
to prop().  You can no longer say $('#selector').attr('disabled',
'disabled') this needs to become a prop() call.

> Interestingly, there always seems to be a trivial workaround for their
> removed features - but they don't want to keep the old way working.

Yes, this module may help:
http://blog.jquery.com/2013/02/16/jquery-migrate-1-1-1-released/

> So having one central JQuery version would be a great idea - but then when
> we upgrade it - stuff will break all over the place across core and
> conrtib.   I did just a bit of experimenting with this when I was playing
> with removing iframes - and it is quite frustrating.
>
> We should come up with a central place to manage this for those tools that
> are willing to stick with the same version as portal - currently  jQuery
> 1.9.1 and jQuery-UI 1.10.3 as Sam mentions and then me really mindful when
> we change the version.
>
> I have a feeling this will come to an even more painful head when some
> Sakai tool decides it loves JQuery 2.0 and we don't have frames any more
> and then we will break a *ton* of stuff.
>
> If it were up to me, once we get to JQuery 1.9.1 across the core, I might
> suggest that we freeze the JQuery version for a year or two.

Sure, this seems like a good path.  I see no way we can move to jQuery 2
for at least another couple years.....