[Building Sakai] Idea: Change the GUID generator for Sakai

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Wed Jan 8 21:41:31 PST 2014

Maybe disaster is a little extreme, but depending on who it happened to, it
would be at least a significant event, and depending in which tool it was
generated could be some database related effort to clean it and/or change
it. So base 54 maybe, (Unless there are other safe characters to replace)

Though the commons function already replaces + and / with - and _ so
probably not many characters left. "Encodes binary data using a URL-safe
variation of the base64 algorithm but does not chunk the output. The
url-safe variation emits - and _ instead of + and / characters. *Note: no
padding is added."*