[Building Sakai] Idea: Change the GUID generator for Sakai

Cris J Holdorph holdorph at unicon.net
Wed Jan 8 12:30:08 PST 2014

I almost completely agree with Matt.  I would bring up one additional
point though.

URLs

You mention one of the only benefits would be in saving some bytes in
the database.  However, I think another very small benefit, would be in
saving some characters in URLs that might be shared.

e.g., if I tell someone to visit the Sakai site (this site does not exist):

http://sakai.unicon.net/portal/site/f7dc1ffb-6bd2-43e0-811f-d58cd12ffa79

using a different/shorter guid, could result in a shorter url, e.g.,

http://sakai.unicon.net/portal/site/XhcsnjHjIWc

I still think the guaranteed uniqueness across sakai installations is
very important, and I'd prefer to maintain that benefit even if it meant
having to keep the existing long GUIDs.

---- Cris J H