[Building Sakai] Sakai Presentation layer

John Bush jbush at anisakai.com
Tue Feb 11 18:16:42 PST 2014

Build it as a separate webapp and bring in via LTI, seriously, you
should think about it...  I don't know what you are building but you
might want to consider if that type of architecture would work for
you.  There are a lot of advantages, pick your technology stack, free
your deployment schedule from sakai, free your code from sakai
dependence (to a certain point), maybe your tool might be useful with
another lms one day.

In this day and age I'd be looking at javascript frameworks and doing
the UI fully that way, and then use whatever your favorite rest
producing framework is on the backend.  Ember is the one I'm most
interested in trying out personally.  You could do this inside or
outside of hosting the backend in the Sakai container.  It really
depends on what services you need and how you intend to implement
them.  If you need a really tight integration with sakai than build it
inside tomcat, if not build it outside and use rails, grails, php,
scala, or whatever Java framework you fancy.