[Building Sakai] Adding New Optional Responsive Portal to trunk

Mark Reilly mark.reilly at nyu.edu
Thu Feb 6 18:13:24 PST 2014

Hi all,

I am planning on adding the New Optional Responsive Portal to trunk to be added into Sakai 10.

Gonzalo Silverio and I have been working on a new set of velocity templates for Sakai 10. The new portal—currently called morpheus–is a rewrite of neo-portal templates. The templates are experimental and not ready yet for production. All files are in addition to the existing codebase and should have no impact on existing code. The morpheus templates have been rewritten using HTML5 markup and a fair amount of—no longer needed—divs have been removed.

We have also added two new skins, morpheus-default and morpheus-master, to the skin folder. Morpheus-deafult is the default skin and is similar in structure to the current skins; It contains only css, javascript, and images. Morpheus-master is built using sass, a css preprocessor, and it's used to build morpheus-default (and in the future other example skins). By using sass we can make the process of customizing Sakai much simpler; We'll also make it more maintainable by creating one master codebase to generate all the various example skins.

We're proposing to incorporate Sass into Sakai in such a way that the current skinning workflow won't be changed. For more information see:
https://github.com/alienresident/sakai-portal-assets/blob/master/documentation/Adding-Sass-to-Sakai.md
Feedback on this process is welcome.

I was able to demo some prototypes and showcase some of the work I have done on the new NYU skin (for 2.8)  at Apereo Camp. The work was well received and feedback was very helpful. Once we've reached a point where we can demo the new skin we'll post links to an experimental build.

Thanks,
Mark Reilly

Mark Reilly, PhD
User Experience Designer