[Building Sakai] Loading PDFs in Chrome

Matthew Buckett matthew.buckett at it.ox.ac.uk
Fri Dec 12 02:44:23 PST 2014

On 11 December 2014 at 17:21, Sam Ottenhoff <ottenhoff at longsight.com> wrote:
> Here is a JIRA: https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-1314
>
> So my question: how long do we want the browser to cache a resource?  Zero
> seconds?  60 seconds?  An hour?

If we start telling the browser to cache the file then we may start
getting calls from helpdesks saying things like:

"I uploaded a replacement picture, but it's still showing the old one."

I know it's an easy support call (telling them to re-fresh the page,
but to my mind it's better to have the browser not cache them and to
implement support for Last-Modified/ETag headers and HTTP 304
the browser to re-validate each time (but this is more work).

https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-1315

> It does seem like a Chrome bug.  If we don't send any caching-related
> headers, shouldn't Chrome assume no caching?  I just attached a patch to our
> JIRA.

Patch applied

--
  Matthew Buckett, VLE Developer, IT Services, University of Oxford