[Building Sakai] software plagiarism plugin?

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Mon Dec 8 10:14:58 PST 2014

Well there is a plugin for one of the products Gregory mentioned for Moodle
in MOSS (https://github.com/hit-moodle/moodle-plagiarism_moss) but it's
quite out of date (3 years old) and one of the issues in github mentions it
no longer works.

It feels like the big issue with this is that the providers (JPlag and
MOSS) are not open source (Like most other plagarism providers) and the
companies that support them have never developed and LTI or direct
integration, leaving it to the community. And it seems like if you were
going to run it at an institution level (integrated into the LMS) you'd
have to get a commercial contract with either of these companies and
develop the integration out. Also unlike general plagarism, these types of
checking are very specific to a few majors where code is submitted, rather
than the entire school, so possibly harder to get an integration like this
funded and supported?

I have heard of instructors and TA's downloading the assignment zip and
running it through these though outside of various LMS. It doesn't look
like either of them stores previous papers (at least for the
non-commercial) so you have to run the check on all submissions at once,
which also differs from Turnitin and Vericite which typically will store
data from previous submissions to compare against.