[Building Sakai] Sakai 10 vast amounts of email generated moving content between sites

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Mon Aug 25 09:15:32 PDT 2014

I think though discussing it that this fix brings up more of a question if
the previous behavior of not sending out emails when a file was copied from
another site was really incorrect behavior. This is considered a low
priority notifications, which students can opt out via their preferences.
But it technically is a new resource being added to their course site. I
can see not sending out a notification when a file was deleted, but this
was fixed. So I'm not so sure what the fix would be. I think the ideal
would be a UI selector where the instructor could change options either on
the action or on the entire collection about whether or not they want
notifications sent out, similar to dropbox, but that doesn't exist in the
regular resources case.

So maybe this is more of a mention in the release note than anything that
specifically is going to be fixed as there would be people on both sides. I
guess there *could* have just been a property around this, only way to
semi-please both sides. ;)

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 11:48 AM, Matthew Jones <matthew at longsight.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>>
>>  But it looks like the rest of this ticket was a regression against one
>> of the 10 qa's that was never fixed.
>> https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-25936
>>

>> On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 7:05 AM, Roger Brown <roger.brown at uct.ac.za>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi All
>>>
>>> If you go to Resources and "Copy Content from My Other Sites" an email
>>> is generated to users in the maintain role for each item copied.

>>> copying resources from one site to another.
>>>

>>> 2014-07-22 06:49:22,225  INFO Thread-24 org.sakaiproject.email.impl.BasicEmailService - sendToUsers: users: [Sakai Administrator<> joe soap<joe at soap.com> ] headers: [MIME-Version: 1.0, Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="======sakai-multi-part-boundary======", Subject: [ mercury site - New Resource ] twoColumn.xml, From: "10.x on HSQLDB"<no-reply at localhost>, To: "mercury site"<no-reply at localhost>] message:
>>> This message is for MIME-compliant mail readers.
>>>
>>> --======sakai-multi-part-boundary======
>>>
>>> A new resource has been added to the "mercury site" site at 10.x on HSQLDB (http://nightly2.sakaiproject.org:8081/portal
>>> )
>>>
>>> Location: site "mercury site" > Resources  > system > twoColumn.xml

>>> Resource: twoColumn.xml http://nightly2.sakaiproject.org:8081/access/content/group/mercury/system/twoColumn..xml <http://nightly2.sakaiproject.org:8081/access/content/group/mercury/system/twoColumn.xml>
>>>

>>> ----------------------
>>> This automatic notification message was sent by 10.x on HSQLDB (http://nightly2.sakaiproject.org:8081/portal) from the mercury site site.
>>> You can modify how you receive notifications at My Workspace > Preferences.
>>>
>>> --======sakai-multi-part-boundary======
>>>
>>> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
>>>     "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
>>>

>>> 10.x on HSQLDB</a>
>>> Location: site "mercury site" > Resources  > system > <a href="http://nightly2..sakaiproject.org:8081/access/content/group/mercury/system/twoColumn.xml <http://nightly2.sakaiproject.org:8081/access/content/group/mercury/system/twoColumn.xml>">twoColumn.xml</a>
>>> <hr/><br/>
>>>
>>> --======sakai-multi-part-boundary======--
>>>

>>> 2014-07-22 06:49:22,410  INFO Thread-25 org.sakaiproject.email.impl.BasicEmailService - sendToUsers: users: [Sakai Administrator<> joe soap<joe at soap.com> ] headers: [MIME-Version: 1.0, Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="======sakai-multi-part-boundary======", Subject: [ mercury site - New Resource ] Simplehtml.jpg, From: "10.x on HSQLDB"<no-reply at localhost>, To: "mercury site"<no-reply at localhost>] message:
>>> This message is for MIME-compliant mail readers.
>>>
>>> --======sakai-multi-part-boundary======
>>>
>>> A new resource has been added to the "mercury site" site at 10.x on HSQLDB (http://nightly2.sakaiproject.org:8081/portal)
>>>
>>> Location: site "mercury site" > Resources  > system > Simplehtml.jpg

>>> etc