[Building Sakai] Change the Sakai CLE release date policy ?

yleny at laposte.net yleny at laposte.net
Fri Aug 8 09:38:08 PDT 2014

Sam said :

>The person from UCDavis writing this blog post has a poor understanding of the way Sakai is updated and is most likely >referring to their local institution's release of Sakai as opposed to the global updating of Sakai.  Sakai code is updated every >day of the year, and after the QA team verifies issues, the fixes are merged into maintenance branches on a weekly basis.  I >would argue that critical bugs are addressed quite quickly in the community, and institutions that are interested in rolling out >bug fixes should be rolling out patches several times every term.

The person from UCDavis person has this opinion because you do not see several things as developer :
1) The web page https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Sakai+Release+Date+list was created in june 2014 and was missing in the sakai documentation. With this web page, a sakai user/administrator can see that sakai CLE have
regular updates but without this web page where he can find this information ?
2) A lot of web server or appplication server administrators are not developpers and so you can not ask them to get sakai sources code, patch it, compile it and install it on the java application server. It's not their job.
They want only tagged and tested sakai binaries to install on the java application server and then they will wait the official tagged release.

For doing so, I also know that quality tests are long and difficult to pass especially with a complex software like sakai cle.
Is it possible to have a minor tagged release with binaries every two months to fix the bugs, translations or is it costing too much time for qa team and developpers ?

>If you want to help increase our velocity of maintenance branch fixes, our QA team could use more volunteers to verify issues >that have been fixed in trunk but are waiting for verification before being merged to the maintenance branch.
Interesting information if I want to improve sakai.

PS : My message is not a criticism, otherwise I would not have spent so much time on my spare (free) time to translate sakai's menus and messages in french, translate sakai 10 install documentation in french, improve english sakai 10 documentation, create english documentation or improve sakai cle wikipedia pages to promote sakai.

Best regards

Yannick