[Building Sakai] Change the Sakai CLE release date policy ?

Neal Caidin neal.caidin at apereo.org
Wed Aug 6 08:59:32 PDT 2014

>"Frequency of Updates. Sakai has not had significant updates in years
(only bug fixes), and the fixes that do occur are annual, which is not
frequently enough. The LMS candidates that we are investigating update
tools, add functionality, and address bugs much more frequently."

Yeah, that is clearly not a true statement. We have had lots of tool
updates over the last couple of years and plan many more for Sakai 11.
Major ones, not just minor tweaks. I was hoping to edit this video
recording of a recent presentation a little better before sending out the
link, but this includes a good summary of Sakai 10 release and the Sakai 11
roadmap [1].

I'm not seeing in your links where Moodle guarantees 2 month release cycles
for maintenance releases?

Our maintenance release cycle depends on a number of factors, needs of
Sakai institutions based on feedback and collective knowledge and
understanding of the academic calendar (which is tricky, since it varies),
Sakai developer availability to fix bugs, community resources for QA
testing, and, of course, the results of testing (e.g. if we find a new bug
during QA testing, we need more time to get the bug fixed and retest).

[1] Sakai 10 release and the Sakai 11 roadmap -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibeiIyNwPUY&list=UUzDbnWaP_5kd6HpvDUjoT4Q

Cheers,
Neal