[Building Sakai] Change the Sakai CLE release date policy ?

yleny at laposte.net yleny at laposte.net
Wed Aug 6 08:36:44 PDT 2014

Hello,

Maybe Sakai CLE developpers need to change the release date policy because of this example :
I found this blog post when I made research about Sakai CLE and I think that Sakai CLE developpers need to read it to improve Sakai CLE for a better LMS for the users.

The LMS Transition Initiative
http://wheel.ucdavis.edu/lms/
extract :
"Frequency of Updates. Sakai has not had significant updates in years (only bug fixes), and the fixes that do occur are annual, which is not frequently enough. The LMS candidates that we are investigating update tools, add functionality, and address bugs much more frequently."

When you take a look at all official releases of Sakai CLE web page (that I have created), grouped by branch in reverse chronological order:
Sakai Release Date list
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Sakai+Release+Date+list
you can see that users neeed to wait 3 months for a minor release (2.9.x) and 10 months between a major release (from 2.9.3 to 2.10.0) and  it's only 2 months between a minor release for Moodle.
All official releases of Moodle, grouped by branch in reverse chronological order:
http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Releases

For the to support policy, you can compare these two tables :
For Moodle  :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moodle#Releases
and
for Sakai CLE
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sakai_CLE#Releases

Is it possible to have a minor release every two months to fix the bugs, to have minor improvements and to have the latest translations ?

Best regards

Yannick