[Building Sakai] Jenkins deployment issue

Liu, Peter peter.liu at yale.edu
Thu Apr 24 10:42:04 PDT 2014

Hi All,

We have some issues with the Jenkins deployment procedure.  We found that our current Jenkin's Deployment into tomcat take too long (around 30 minutes for one Jenkins installer. We have 8 servers -> 3-4 hours?) and it is not acceptable.

Can anyone help us on this one?  Our current Jenkin's Installer procedures may be wrong.  What Jenkin's installer will do is shown as followings:
       At one Tomcat Instance,

1)     Stop tomcat

2)     Clean up the tomcat

3)     We run 'mvn sakai:deploy' to get all artifacts from Yale artiFactory, which is pre-built by Jenkins.

4)     Then overlay the related sakai.properites, server.xml etc files with corresponding DB username and pwd etc.

5)     Start up tomcat

The cycle takes over 30 minutes and the time mainly consumed at sakai:deploy step.

Should we just to pre-build the entire sakai-binary tar file and then un-tar it instead to run the sakai:deploy (take too long)?

Any suggestion (or how your institution does the deployment via Jenkins) will be highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Peter Liu

Yale University