[Building Sakai] Course Site Setup

Michele Dames heydames at live.com
Tue Apr 8 09:00:18 PDT 2014

Thank you for the response.

We have a dummy term setup but where do we put the values for the fields (subject, course number, etc.)?

Michele

Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 09:52:26 -0500
Subject: Re: [Building Sakai] Course Site Setup
From: kstiles at brutuspartners.com
To: heydames at live.com; sakai-dev at collab.sakaiproject.org

Hi Michele,
You can manually create a course site in Sakai by going to worksite setup, clicking "new" and selecting the "course" option.  There are, as the documentation states, some extra fields to complete (subject, course number, etc.) but you can just invent values for those fields.  As long as you have at least one term in place, you should be able to create the course site manually without any SIS integrations in place.

Thanks,Kara

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 8:12 PM, Michele Dames <heydames at live.com> wrote:

I am trying
to learn about setting up courses in Sakai – we are testing LTI through all the
major LMSes, including Sakai.

We have the
system setup on our own servers and have project sites but we are having
trouble with course sites.  We have configured the terms but are stuck
with the course details.

In the
documentation it states:

The best way
to start creating sites, therefore, is to use the Worksite Setup tool. Click on
the New link at the top of the tool page, and then, for simplicity's sake,
choose the Project site type, which will allow you to avoid issues of academic
term, etc., that are provoked by a "course" site - issues which are
probably unnecessary if you just want to start playing with the tools. Either
type of site will serve, however: both types of sites have all the tools
available to them.

We really
want to have "real" courses to show to our clients – how can we
create a course site without linking to an SIS (student information system)?

Thanks in
advance for your guidance.

sakai-dev at collab.sakaiproject.org