[Building Sakai] public synonym in Oracle?

Yi Zhu zhuy at wfu.edu
Fri Sep 27 14:11:21 PDT 2013

Hi all,

We have been using Sakai with Oracle for a while. Recently, we are exploring
the possibility to run multiple instances of Sakai using different database
user ids and still utilize the same data, this is mainly for development
purposes. The first choice came to mind was to create public synonym for
those private tables, sequence, etc., then connect other instance with
different DB ids with auto ddl turned off.

There are two warnings at startup: unable to alter table CONTENT_RESOURCE,
and a NullPointerException at
org.theospi.portfolio.admin.service.SakaiIntegrationServiceImpl.createUserRe
sourceDir. The Resource page also throws error every single time the link is
clicked.

Everything works fine however if we switch db user back. It sounds like that
we missed something around CONTENT_RESOURCE table. But I am not sure what it
is. Any help would be really appreciated!

Below are the steps we took so far.

1.Create initial user

                drop user sakai_owner cascade;

                create user sakai_owner identified by 123456;

                grant all privileges to sakai_owner;

2.Turn auto.ddl on in the properties file and specify db user as
sakai_owner, then start the app (let application to create tables)

3.Create public synonyms for all tables and sequences

                See attached create_public_synonyms_282.sql

4.Create another user with all privileges

                drop user sakai_tester cascade;

                create user sakai_tester identified by 123456;

                grant all privileges to sakai_tester;

5.Change db user in the properties file to sakai_tester and restart the app

We used apache Tomcat 5.5.33 and Sakai binary release 2.8.2 in this
experiment.

Best Regards,

Yi