[Building Sakai] Obtain IP address of user who logged in at a certain time

Branden Visser mrvisser at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 05:51:18 PDT 2013

Hi Jeremy,

There is the SAKAI_EVENTS table which logs the IP address of an event
-- I think the event is "sakai.login". Note that this is the IP
address as perceived by the Sakai server, so if you are load-balancing
behind a reverse proxy it won't be useful. There was some talk a long
time ago about also logging the X-Forwarded-For header but I don't
think there was movement on that.

If you're behind a reverse proxy, you'll want to pair your
SAKAI_EVENTS at the time of login with your HTTP access log to get the
"real" ip address of the request that triggered the login event.
Depending on how many logins there were at the time it could be
difficult to correlate.

Hope that helps,
Branden