[Building Sakai] Forums (msgcntr) default permissions

Wagner, Michelle R. wagnermr at iupui.edu
Tue Sep 24 21:03:30 PDT 2013

Hi Jeremy,
OOTB, the Contributor level has both the Edit and Delete Own set to None, so it does sound like your institution must have modified the default at some point.

First you need to track down the TYPE_UUID for the Contributor permission level in CMN_TYPE_T.  Something like:

SELECT TYPE_UUID FROM CMN_TYPE_T WHERE KEYWORD = 'Contributor Permission Level'

Then use this TYPE_UUID to find what your default settings are in MFR_PERMISSION_LEVEL_T:
SELECT * from MFR_PERMISSION_LEVEL_T where TYPE_UUID='xxxx'

If this record doesn't exist in the MFR_PERMISSION_LEVEL_T table, the code will use a default set of permissions for the Contributor level.  If this record is missing, there should be a warning on tomcat startup that says something like:
"No permission level data exists for the Contributor level in the MFR_PERMISSION_LEVEL_T table. Default Contributor permissions will be used. If you want to customize this permission level, use mfr.sql as a reference to add this level to the table."

Years ago at Indiana, one of these default records disappeared from our database and we were never able to figure out why.  Maybe you are experiencing the same issue?  Otherwise, the obvious question is have you updated the msgcntr code recently?  If the above isn't your issue, let us know what version of msgcntr you are running and if anything has changed recently.

Have a great day,
Michelle