[Building Sakai] More 2.9.x Email Archive strangeness

Michael Osterman ostermmg.sakai at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 17:37:14 PDT 2013

Now that we've solved our LDAP issue (we had an artificially low limit of
the number of objects Sakai could get at once), email archive is sending
mail for all classes again.

The new puzzler: for some sites, but not all, the instructor is being
omitted as a recipient on messages sent via the Email Archive address. For
whatever reason, this started happening only after we got the LDAP object
size mismatch fixed.

Here's what I've done to troubleshoot so far:

1) Found the email service entry in catalina.out

2013-09-14 09:00:41,541  INFO Thread-319526
org.sakaiproject.email.impl.BasicEmailService - sendToUsers: headers[
student3 at whitman.edu student4 at whitman.edu student5 at whitman.edu
student6 at whitman.edu student7 at whitman.edu student8 at whitman.edu
student9 at whitman.edu]

2) Found the matching LDAP entry

[14/Sep/2013:09:00:34 -0700] conn=832949 op=1 SRCH base="[REDACTED]"
scope=1 filter="(|(uid=student1)(uid=student2)(uid=student3)(uid=
student4)(uid=student5)(uid=student6)(uid=student7)(uid=student8)(uid=student9))"
attrs="uid givenName sn mail eduPersonPrimaryAffiliation"

I've confirmed that Sakai is not even asking the UDP for the Instructor's
directory  information when the message is being sent. While it may be
cached, that still doesn't explain why the instructor's email isn't listed
in the "to" section of catalina.out.

Again, I've also confirmed that for other sites, the email service *is*
including the Instructor in the to section, which is expected behavior.

The only configuration change I made right around when this started
happening was adding this property:

searchScope at org.sakaiproject.user.api.UserDirectoryProvider=1

That doesn't seem like it would matter, since the LDAP server's not even
getting asked for the instructor's user id.

Any ideas why this might be happening and/or how to further troubleshoot?

Cheers!
Mike