[Building Sakai] Google drive LTI integration

Raymond Naseef raymond.naseef at gmail.com
Sat Sep 14 13:23:39 PDT 2013

Hi Ciellie,

Once you create a service account, there is one more thing to do, giving
that service access to people's data.  University of Michigan has their own
Google Domain, umich.edu, and they have the ability to setup permissions
for the service account to access data for their people.

If user accounts do not belong to a specific Google domain owned by your
university, the code I wrote will not be able to get permissions to access
their data.  Do you have a Google domain, or are your users @gmail.com?

It is good you found out setting up Service Account.  I believe I have
written notes about how to setup a service account, but do not see them in
the google projects in Sakai (they must be Google documents at University
of Michigan).  If you own a domain, your admin can give the service account
access to people with accounts in that domain (e.g., University of Michigan
can give service account access to all people with email address "@umich.edu
").

By the way, the URL you gave does not work, because the URL is handled in
case sensitive manner: this is the correct URL:

https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/umich/google/google-drive-lti/trunk/README.txt

If you do not own a Google domain, getting permissions would probably need
to be done by using method to ask the user for permissions, as the service
would be considered a 3rd party.

All the best,
Ray