[Building Sakai] Badging and Sakai

Charles Severance csev at umich.edu
Thu Oct 31 21:03:27 PDT 2013

On Oct 30, 2013, at 12:23 PM, Chris Kretler <ckretler at umich.edu> wrote:

> Thank you for the update guys.  And thank you, Dr. Chuck, for my first badge!

Glad to help - I can probably help you make your second badge even easier than the first.   Before I added badge support to online.dr-chuck.com - I made an open source reference implementation of Mozilla Badges in PHP:

https://github.com/csev/obi-sample

You can "bake" a chocolate-chip cookie badge here:

http://www.dr-chuck.com/obi-sample/

When I finally get around to make the badging system for Sakai I will first build a really simple Java reference implementation and then use that reference implementation in the Sakai code.

I would just say two things about badges: (a) the Mozilla badge spec is simple and beautiful and (b) the documentation that Mozilla has about badges is unnecessarily complex and leads one to think this is harder than it is.  I have another low-priority task to write really simple and clean documentation about Moz Badges and contribute it to Moz - but of course there is the matter of finishing LTI 2 :)

/Chuck