[Building Sakai] [cle-release-team] KNL-1063 status?

John Bush jbush at anisakai.com
Sat Oct 26 07:24:18 PDT 2013

The benefit is that staring in Sakai 10, we be able to make changes to
configuration without having to restart a tomcat, in places where the
calling code supports it.  For things like turning on a new feature,
or turning off a feature that is causing some issue, this is super
handy, especially in a large cluster.

There won't be a front end tool to make these changes right way, but
even without that it would be easy for a sysadmin to make change in
the db directly, or low effort for someone to make REST service that
could do it to support tooling eventually.

In addition, the benefit is that configuration/deployment wise, it
opens up some new ways of managing deployments.  For example, when
upgrading, or moving an instance from one node to another becomes less
error prone because you won't necessarily have to rely on
configuration on the file system getting lost, or messed up.  In a
large cluster this is especially convenient.

Yes its not a feature end users will really experience directly,
except for maybe less downtime, or less config mistakes.  But it is a
feature those managing Sakai instances might find really useful.