[Building Sakai] Assignments submissions are unsubmitted when switching away from non-electronic

Brian Baillargeon bbailla2 at uwo.ca
Thu Oct 24 12:44:13 PDT 2013

If an assignment's submission type is set as Non-electronic and the
instructor changes the submission type to anything else, all the
submissions for that assignment will be updated to have submitted =
false and the timeSubmitted = null. This can be problematic if there
were submissions before the assignment was set to non-electronic. I'm
working on a patch that will remove this functionality, but I figured
I'd ask first because it seems like a fair amount of work went in
introducing this behaviour
(AssignmentAction.change_from_non_electronic(...) seems to be written
solely for this purpose).

Does anybody know why this behaviour was implemented?

Thanks,
Brian Baillargeon