[Building Sakai] Chrome 30 and HTTP

Kevin Pittman kevin.pittman at oit.gatech.edu
Fri Oct 4 08:33:02 PDT 2013

On Fri, Oct 04, 2013 at 02:39:19AM +0000, Matt Clare wrote:

> 	Have others seen issues with Chrome 30 (shipped yesterday), and HTTPS instances of Sakai and pages being blocked because the Sakai tool directed the user/Chrome to an HTTP link, not an HTTPS link?  All HTTPS proxy'ed/balence'd systems send an HTTP header to switch back to HTTPS in these instances, but Chrome 30 apparently deems this insufficient.

We're seeing this a Georgia Tech where we run sakai behind BIG-IP load
balancers.  We have HTTPS coming into BIG-IP, but for efficiency have
always done HTTP between BIG-IP and Sakai, which means as pointed out
that Sakai thinks it's using HTTP to talk to the end client.

I'd been tinkering in our development environment with switching the
backend to HTTPS, but I'm going to try the force SSL property suggestion
from Steve, since it would be much more efficient:

  sakai.force.url.secure=true

Kevin
Georgia Tech Sakai Application Administrator

Kevin Pittman                              kevin.pittman at oit.gatech.edu