[Building Sakai] Lessons Builder import

Charles Hedrick hedrick at rutgers.edu
Tue Nov 19 13:01:13 PST 2013

I’m now showing the URL as the name, except in a few cases where I can’t tell the name. Then it shows “embedded video.” There was also a bug such that links such as Youtube URLs exported as a file with the text of the link, rather than actual links. That’s fixed. These fixes have been retrofitted to 1.4, and are present in the 1.4.x source (though not well tested). This is jira LSNBLDR-315.

But that won’t solve the problem of having embedded videos such as Youtube turn into links.There’s a basic problem here. The CC format does not define a way to put content inline on a page. The basic CC model is a file system, much like resources. What we think of as a Lessons page is simply a folder listing in the CC model.

The priority in developing CC export and import has been to support the standard as well as possible. I’ve tested with several other CMSs, to make sure we can exchange content. It wasn’t a goal, at least initially, to transfer content between two Sakai systems. For that we have a Sakai archive format.

If this is something a lot of people want to do, I’m willing to consider it. But extending the CC code to support all of the Sakai functionality is at least as large a job as implementing CC in the first place. So it’s not likely to come quickly. Particularly since the IMS folks have released a new version of CC, which will require changes to both export and import. Doing that would be my next priority for CC.