[Building Sakai] Removing standalone modes for sections/gradebook

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Thu Nov 7 11:47:04 PST 2013

2 issues are considered blockers for the release of Sakai 10

These are both related to sections and gradebook depending on impl's that
have been moved into edu-services. The cross between edu-services and these
tools isn't completely clean and much of it is continued support for the a
feature called "standalone". I've never ran this feature, only read about
it in some of the old docs. Nobody on the release call was running these
tools "standalone". The documentation on this mode is over 7 years old and
it seemed to imply you did need some parts of Sakai to get it to run. The
release team call suggestion is to just remove standalone capability from
these tools in Sakai 10. This would simplify the code in these tools and
remove these dependencies.

However, before I committed this I wanted to a check to verify nobody
outside of the call was using this mode and would miss it. If so would they
consider supporting the work to fix this dependency problem and test this
mode. The alternative I could think of would probably be profiles specific
for the standalone mode which would only compile these standalone classes
and include these dependencies when specifically enabled.

Obviously they would remain in versions of Sakai 2.9 and earlier.

I plan to commit the removal of these next week if there is no dissenting
opinion. I've done this locally for sections and it seems to work fine,
gradebook looks like a little more involved.

Thanks!