[Building Sakai] Changing reset-pass email messages

Joshua Swink joshua.swink at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 11:12:03 PST 2013

I'm using Sakai 2.9.2. When reset-pass is enabled (which it is by default),
those templates are bypassed. The actual emails that do get sent are in
reset-pass/account-validator-impl/src/bundle/: validate_existingUser.xml
validate_legacyUser.xml  validate_newPassword.xml  validate_newUser.xml

Not being familiar with reset-pass, I was a bit surprised to find the email
message didn't resemble the template in Email template administration. But
reset-pass looks and works great.

Here's the code in SiteAddParticipantHandler that chooses:

boolean validateUsers =
serverConfigurationService.getBoolean("siteManage.validateNewUsers", true);
if (notifyNewUserEmail && !validateUsers) {
    notiProvider.notifyNewUserEmail(uEdit, pw, site != null ?
site.getTitle():"");
} else if (notifyNewUserEmail && validateUsers) {
    validationUsers.add(uEdit.getId());
}

And the property in sakai.properties:

# If set to false then password reset users get sent a new email, otherwise
they get a link to allow
# them to reset their password. This prevents people from changing password
they don't own.
#siteManage.validateNewUsers=true

Josh