[Building Sakai] [gradebook2-dev] Grading: Assignment&Gradebook2

Jon Gorrono jpgorrono at ucdavis.edu
Fri May 31 19:04:59 PDT 2013

Hi, Raul.

Historic reasoning has been roughly that grades are not stored in GB2,
they are stored in edu-services. And AFAIK replacing null valued
(ungraded) scores with zeroes in a reversible way is not something
that the edu-services code can 'do': there would have to be
modifications in that code in order to record the setting and a per
item marker.

I've talked to a number of people who also think that this should be
done, so we should have a ticket for it and try to schedule the work
and discussion with the edu-service maintainers.

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 6:08 AM, RAUL SANCHEZ VEGAS <raulsv at um.es> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> We have a couple of questions related to the Assignment tool's behaviour:
>
> First question, steps:
>
> 1. In Assignment: The instructor creates an assignment and adds it to
> the Gradebook tool.
> 2. In Gradebook2: The instructor selects the "Give ungraded no credit"
> option on the assignment from step 1, therefore all students get 0
> points on this item.
> 3. Now in Assignment: The instructor checks the assignment's scores and
> they haven't been updated with 0 points.
>
> We think this could be considered a bug.
>
> Second question, steps:
>
> 1. In Gradebook2: The instructor creates a gradebook item called "GB Item".
> 2. In Assignment: The instructor creates an assignment associated with
> "GB Item" from step 1.
> 3. In Gradebook2: The instructor grades any student on "GB Item".
> 4. In Assignment: The instructor tries to grade the same student from
> step 3 and clicks "Save", however the score is not stored Asignment tool
> or in Gradebook2. It still keeps the score from GB2, the one that was
> introduced in step 3.
>
> What's the reason for this behaviour? We've had several complaints about
> this use case. We think that grades should be equally managed from both
> tools so that an instructor can modify them either from Assignments or
> from GB2.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Raúl

Jon Gorrono
PGP Key: 0x5434509D -
http{pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=0x5434509D&op=index}
http{middleware.ucdavis.edu}