[Building Sakai] mysql transitions ..

Kenwrick Chan kchan at hawaii.edu
Fri May 31 13:35:00 PDT 2013

Hi Mark,
Sorry to have missed this message.  We have an enterprise support contract
for MySQL that's going to lapse this August.  As you probably know MySQL
was purchased by a larger DB vendor.   I'm not the person that's working
with the current MySQL vendor, but he mentioned that they are currently
unwilling to set a price on how much it would cost to extend enterprise
support*.  We are not using the "hot" backup tool but we are using the
enterprise monitoring tool.  We've never contacted tech support for
assistance.  In fact, since we're currently still on 2.7.x our installed
version 5.1 is no longer supported.  So we are evaluating our options [our
instance of sakai is not the only MySQL database though].

-kenwrick
** I'm not sure if the technical term for this is "playing chicken".*