[Building Sakai] Remove ability for instructors to assign instructor role to others

JOSE MARIANO LUJáN GONZáLEZ jmariano at um.es
Fri May 31 05:59:53 PDT 2013

Hi Brian and all,

Have you considered doing it the same way as *SAK-18462 Ability to
restrict joiner role selection to non-maintainer roles* [1] was done.

Instead of indicating which roles are allowed restricting a role, they
based their choice in permissions. They indicated the prohibited
permissions. It is pretty much the same solution but choosing this one
will make it more consistent since it has already been done.

We see some advantages to choose this approach:
    1- If your institution adds a new role, it will pretty much be added
or rejected with out needing to configure the sakai.properties.
    2- You could have two different types of sites with same role name
but different permissions.

Here is an example of our sakai properties for SAK-18462 where we even
control one of our custom permissions.

    *sakai.properties University Murcia*
    siteinfo.prohibited_permission_for_joiner_role.count=5
    siteinfo.prohibited_permission_for_joiner_role.1=site.upd
    siteinfo.prohibited_permission_for_joiner_role.2=section.role.instructor
    siteinfo.prohibited_permission_for_joiner_role.3=section.role.ta
    siteinfo.prohibited_permission_for_joiner_role.4=site.roleswap
    siteinfo.prohibited_permission_for_joiner_role.5=umucorrige.VIEW

I will add this comment to the jira too. We understand that this
functionality is interesting for the community so +1 from Murcia.
cheers,
Mariano

[1] - https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-18462

El 30/05/2013 18:40, Brian Jones escribió:
> Hello,
>
> Our institution required a (configurable) method of restricting what roles
> maintainers can assign to existing site members, and for adding new
> participants.
>
> We have developed this feature and provided a .patch for the community here:
> https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-23257
>
> It is already committed to trunk, but on the CLE call this morning it was
> decided that it should be floated out to the dev list for analysis,
> comments, suggestions, etc.
>
> The use case (for Western), is that our SIS integration defines all roster
> members and roles, and we cannot allow maintainers (instructors) the ability
> to assign other people as elevated roles (i.e. give someone else the
> instructor role).
>
> Our proposed solution to this is to define a set of 'allowed roles' in
> sakai.properties, and then both limit the choices on the UI via this
> property, and also do a backend check to ensure that the user role being set
> is contained in this list of 'allowed roles'.
>
> It was brought up on the CLE call that the Course Management API also
> supports this sort of feature, although using the CM API is optional, not
> required. Therefore there needs to be another, more general way of
> accomplishing this without needing to use the CM API.
>
> Another option suggested was to make this into a permission, but we chose
> not to go down this path because a single permission is more of an 'all or
> nothing' approach, rather than being configurable on a per-role basis
> (especially in a system where there are likely custom roles that are not
> provided out of the box).
>
> So, I would like to invite everyone to take a look at this feature/patch.
> Are there other institutions that would utilize this feature, or have
> similar use cases? Is it acceptable as-is? Any comments, suggestions, etc
> are welcome. Feel free to chime in!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Brian Jones
> Applications Development
> Information Technology Services
> Support Services Building, Room 4326
> Western University
> (519) 661-2111 x86969
> bjones86 at uwo.ca

José Mariano Luján González - Aula Virtual
Area de Tecnologías de la Información
y las Comunicaciones Aplicadas (ATICA)
UNIVERSIDAD DE MURCIA -http://www.um.es