[Building Sakai] [DATA LOSS] 2.9 DAV MOVE zeroes out files?!

David Adams da1 at vt.edu
Wed May 22 09:50:13 PDT 2013

Hey everyone,
We just today discovered that MOVE commands to the DAV server in Sakai
2.9.1 are resulting in blanked out files, ie, zero bytes, content
lost. This includes files that are renamed and as a side effect, any
files edited and saved with Office or any other tool that writes files
to a separate location and then MOVEs them to the new place.

Our production code is moderately tweaked (though not the DAV tool in
particular) and we run on Oracle, so I checked this out using the
binary 2.9.1 download against a MySQL database and I can duplicate the
issue easily. Just create a new text file in your workspace resources
tool using the UI. Then mount your workspace resources on your PC
using Webdrive for Windows or whatever works for you. Open the file
and you can see the contents fine. Rename the file from Windows
Explorer and that will work fine (and Webdrive for me caches the file
contents), but when you reload the Resources tool in the UI, you'll
see the file is zero byte and opening it will reveal there is no
content.

I'm not seeing this issue in a community JIRA. Has anyone else run
into this, or can anyone also on 2.9 confirm that this is *not*
happening to them, and that then there is something wrong with our
config? Thanks.

David Adams
Director, Systems Integration and Support
Virginia Tech Learning Technologies