[Building Sakai] Why not just use quartz?

Matthew Buckett matthew.buckett at it.ox.ac.uk
Fri May 17 02:21:30 PDT 2013

On the CLE team call yesterday this ticket came up:

An when looking at this I wondered why Sakai seems to have it's own
scheduled invokation manager which stores in a table a list of jobs to be
run at some point in the future and every x seconds a quartz jobs fires
which runs any jobs that need to be run and then removes them from the
table.

Does anyone know why we didn't just use quartz as wouldn't it be easier to
just create the jobs in quartz with simple triggers as that what it's
designed for.

I've had a quick look in jira/svn but can't find anything about why this
implementation was taken.

Having the API seems sensible so that callers don't bind directly against
quartz, but it would seem sensible to have the implementation just proxy
requests directly through to quartz.

--
  Matthew Buckett, VLE Developer, IT Services, University of Oxford