[Building Sakai] Videos and Sakai

Dunn, Jon William Butcher jwd at iu.edu
Fri Mar 29 14:34:31 PDT 2013

It also doesn't directly solve the "putting videos in Sakai and making them available" use case, but since Matterhorn was brought up, I wanted to also mention Avalon Media System as another related open source project: http://www.avalonmediasystem.org/

Our focus in Avalon has been on video ingested from library and archive collections, but we do plan to work on an LMS integration (probably LTI-based) and are interested in how Avalon might help with use cases beyond the ones we're initially focused on. We use Matterhorn to handle backend video processing/transcoding tasks and also use Matterhorn's Engage player, but content management, metadata, and access control/authorization are implemented on a Hydra/Fedora stack, plus Red5 or Adobe Media Server for delivery.

Jon

---
Jon Dunn
Interim Assistant Dean for Library Technologies and Digital Libraries
Indiana University Bloomington Libraries
jwd at iu.edu
(812) 855-0953