[Building Sakai] Preventing ScheduledInvocationRunner from running on a node

Seth Theriault slt at columbia.edu
Thu Mar 21 09:01:56 PDT 2013

Hello,

By default, a Sakai server registers a ScheduledInvocationRunner job
at startup. This job runs every 10 minutes and queries the
SCHEDULER_DELAYED_INVOCATION table for tasks to be executed. Reminders
and notifications from Evaluation, Forums, and Content are done this
way.

I am wondering if there is any danger in NOT registering this job on a
single node in a cluster of Sakai servers. Locally, we have a "feeds"
server that is not user-facing but accesses the same database and
other data -- including this table -- as the other servers. People are
getting reminders from this server -- which has a different URL -- and
it's confusing.

Looking at:

jobscheduler/scheduler-component-shared/src/java/org/sakaiproject/component/app/scheduler/ScheduledInvocationManagerImpl.java

there doesn't currently seem to be a method to prevent
auto-registration of the job on a particular node, but I think that
could be easily done.

Opinions?

Seth