[Building Sakai] Portal NEO Prefix

Charles Severance csev at umich.edu
Wed Mar 20 21:34:37 PDT 2013

On Mar 21, 2013, at 12:13 AM, Steve Swinsburg wrote:

> Hi Chuck
>
> I can see that skin sets might be useful for some that might want to switch back and forth between portal templates, but still don't see the point of a fixed prefix. I can switch between skins with no issue, except for the prefix.

> Fwiw my old skins are there and my new ones are there too. I have about 30 of them. I have a readme about what skins are what. I don't need a hardcoded prefix to remind me what they are as they are named appropriately, ie someskin29.

Sounds like you use a suffix and if I had make the setting a suffix instead of a prefix - then my design would be perfect :)  Just kidding.

Tell me in detail what properties could we add/or alter that would switch skinsets easily that eliminates the prefix.  Assume you have 28, neo, and xslt templates and skins in the code base at the same time and have multiple skins for each template (say law, medicine, and engineering) and trying to keep all three skins working for all three templates (i.e. nine skins) - and you are a school that uses the skin picker in site setup.  Because that is the rules for how the trunk functions.   All skins work in all templates all the time.  I understand that a particular school only has to have one set of properties and skins that actually work at any given moment - but in trunk I need them to work simultaneously.

How would you name the skins and how would you design the properties to switch skin sets - tell me the exact conventions, file names and properties you would propose.  Give me exact file names and property settings that address the above use cases.  Make sure to address any SQL that is needed to adjust site properties to reflect a skin set change.  Also if swapping skin sets entails moving / renaming files - detail that too.

/Chuck