[Building Sakai] Entitybroker batch servlet disabled by default

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Tue Mar 19 06:15:11 PDT 2013

Even though /batch was useful, we didn't see anyone fixing it, so the quick
fix was to disable it. These tools should probably take care of their own
batch processing. (Having a special method to accept an XML POST or
something of all the items you want to restore/delete)

Doing batch on a POST/PUT/DELETE is easy like this. [1] Doing it on a GET
is a little harder because of the URL limit. Most discussions about this
(on the linked URL) suggest that you have your REST implemented to accept
an special action as a POST then poll the endpoint and wait for the results
as a GET if you're going to get a lot of results or it will take awhile.

PUT /api/flies {id_0, name_0, genome_0}, {id_1, name_1, genome_1}, …}
RESPONSE {requestId}

GET /api/batchRequest/requestId
RESPONSE {status}, ie. IN_PROGRESS, COMPLETE, FAILED, etc.

GET /api/batchReport/requestId
RESPONSE {report}

In either case, we don't have a central batch or background processing
service setup like this either, so currently this would need to be
implemented on a tool-by-tool basis.

[1] http://third-bit.com/blog/archives/1746.html