[Building Sakai] Portal NEO Prefix

Charles Severance csev at umich.edu
Mon Mar 18 07:59:07 PDT 2013

On Mar 18, 2013, at 10:31 AM, Adams, David wrote:

> ... is NOT why this is a bug. You keep bringing this back to the tools. No one else is defending the tools. This thread--the issue we are all talking about--is that the portal now works in a confusing way for skin developers because the default.skin property is now broken.

Sam's initial statement was "lets change the meaning of the skin.default property so we can avoid lots of in-tool patches where tool is looking at this property and constructing a url from it". Go back and read it.  His initial statement was all about avoiding changing tool code.

So far this conversation has been great as it has surfaced a bunch of issues and I think that many on the thread are now in agreement that fixing the tools properly is the best way forward.  I know this conversation has cleared things up for me a lot.

Sam's initial post was not about somehow the portal being confusing to configure or sloppy.  It is *crystal clear* how you build new skins in 2.9, how old and new skins co-exist, and the proper settings for properties to get the portal to behave the way you want it to behave.   Probably well over 50 schools are running 2.9 are this point (including many supported by Sam) and *no confusion" was raised until it came up in the context of avoiding a bunch of fixes to tools.

If we agree that proper tools should *never* look at skin.default property - that this is a property that is used only in portal, then I am happy to have a conversation about the portal 's approach to multiple skins.

/Chuck