[Building Sakai] Portal NEO Prefix

Aaron Zeckoski azeckoski at unicon.net
Mon Mar 18 07:06:43 PDT 2013

> If you want to separate this conversation into (a) we agree that we will fix
> the out-of-spec-tools and then separately (b) what is the best way for the
> portal to function - that is a more interesting conversation.   But as long
> as you keep saying "change the portal to let tools remain out of spec" -
> that is a non-starter.

I don't think anyone is saying "change the portal to let tools remain
out of spec" at this point. If they are then I suggest they start a
new thread for that and not threadjack this one. Sam started this
thread because of observed issues (from a variety of institutions)
with installing 2.9 and admins being confused about why the skins
don't work they way they did for 2.8 and older. That lead to
discovering the way the neo prefix is use inconsistently and the
initial question.

So can we focus on a solution for the problems our community is having
with the way the prefix works?

Perhaps the permise that people actually want to swap their skins back
and forth is simply incorrect? Or maybe the way the swapping is done
should to default to the new portal. So admins make "no change to use
the new portal", and for users who want the old portal and skins, they
have to take additional actions and use a prefix or "old skins"
directory or something like that.

-AZ