[Building Sakai] Problem with CKEditor on nightly2

Noah Botimer botimer at umich.edu
Tue Mar 12 10:12:45 PDT 2013

George, Bryan,

I typically end up looking over the CKEditor issues, but I definitely don't want to say "hands off". Anyway, Bryan is right here. FormattedText is really touchy.

This particular issue, target="_blank" as enforced/allowed/denied, has come around and around -- I'm not sure if it's on the basis of progressive JIRA requests or what (there is a legitimate question and preference as to the "best" behavior), but it is a little frustrating to see this keep coming up.

In any case, target="_blank" is technically recommended against by web standards, etc., but it is the only reasonable (and reasonably safe) way to accomplish the goal for our end users. It should absolutely be allowed (and supported in the link dialog).

I don't think there is a one-size rule here. There is a case to be made for and against forcing all links to be one way or another (especially considering internal and external links).

This is a whole lot of text to say -- yes, this looks like a bug and we need to track down what changed in FormattedText and fix it. Aaron -- did you come across this in the KNL-1015 work?

Thanks,
-Noah